WHITESTOWN, Wis. (WKBT) - Four people were rescued Sunday from the Kickapoo River near Rockton.
Rain from overnight north of Ontario caused the river to quickly rise, causing unsafe conditions.
The women, ranging in age from 49 to 53, are all from Rockford, Illinois and were on the river in personal kayaks.
Around 12:20 p.m. Sunday, one of the women called 911 saying their kayaks had capsized and were stuck in a log jam.
Kickapoo Valley Reserve Police located the kayakers after an extensive search, but were unable to reach them because of the rugged terrain.
The La Farge Fire Department began its swift water rescue by canoeing downstream and used safety ropes to hoist the kayakers to safety.
All four women were treated and released at the scene.
Vernon Co. Sheriff John Spears reminds people to stay off the Kickapoo River when the river rises and the current is fast.
Get your weather forecast from people that actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
- Man dies following weekend boating accident on Mississippi River
- UPDATE: Pilot dies in Vernon County aircraft crash
- Teen killed during storm cleanup was from Melrose
- Onalaska man runs red light, faces 6th OWI
- Over 30 car break-ins reported in La Crosse over weekend
- Two arrested in prescription drug fraud investigation in Vernon Co.
- Wisconsin hemp bill changed to appease law enforcement
- Court: Man properly convicted of making Facebook threats
- Authorities: 3 people put body in river to hide drug death
- Wisconsin woman gets 9 months in jail for harming her baby