VIROQUA, Wis. (WKBT) - A two-car collision Saturday afternoon in Vernon County injured four people.
Vernon County Sheriff john Spears said the accident happened at approximately 1:15 p.m. in the town of Franklin on Saturday, April 21.
James H. Close, 60, of La Crosse and his passenger, Jerry R. Close, 66, of Mindoro were attempting a left turn onto County Road T from US Highway 14 when their car was hit by an oncoming vehicle, according to authorities.
Close said he did not see the oncoming car driven by John C. Burton, 65 of Lancaster. Burton was taken to Vernon Memorial Healthcare and later released. His passenger, Marcia M. Burton, 63, of Lancaster was flown to Gundersen Health System and is listed in stable condition, the release said.
The Close's were both taken to Vernon Memorial Healthcare where Jerry Close was released and James Close was transferred to Gundersen Health System.
Assisting the Sheriff's Office at the scene were the Viroqua Fire Department, Viroqua Police Department, Tri-State Ambulance, Readstown EMS, and the Kickapoo Rescue Squad.
Authorities said seatbelts were in use and air bags deployed in both vehicles.
The crash remains under investigation by the Vernon County Sheriff's Office.
- Officials believe body of Iowa student Mollie Tibbetts found
- UPDATE: Search for wanted men in Trempealeau Co.
- Changes coming for acceptable plastics in La Crosse's recycling
- Shot fired in domestic incident on La Crosse's north side
- UPDATE: Torso, leg found in Mississippi River believed to be connected to other remains
- La Crosse man charged with 1st degree child sexual assault
- Dane County declares state of emergency after record-breaking rainfall, flooding
- Interim principal named at Logan Middle School
- La Crosse housing market seeing improvements across the board
- DOJ report shows 34 percent of La Crosse County sex crime victims are teenagers