VERONA, Wis. (AP) - Authorities say the number of vehicles involved in a fatal crash in the fog on a southern Wisconsin highway is now up to 29.
Dane County sheriff's spokeswoman Elise Schaffer says one person — a 53-year-old woman — died and six others were injured in the pileup on eastbound Highway 18/151 just south of Verona Monday morning.
One of the six injured was transported to the hospital by helicopter. Sheriff's officials say poor visibility due to heavy patches of fog is believed to be a contributing factor.
The sheriff's office says uninjured drivers and passengers were taken to the Verona Fire Department.
The northbound lanes remain closed.
- Schools & Weather related cancellations for Tuesday, Feb. 20
- Spring primary ballot will include school referendum in West Salem
- Walker pushes health care plan ahead of state Senate vote
- Volunteers aim to keep seniors sharp with virtual reality
- New US Senate budget agreement to provide relief to dairy farmers
- Holmen sends big number to state wrestling
- Wis. Supreme Court primary today
- Wisconsin republican lawmaker proposes guns in private schools
- Wisconsin elections officials plan for bad weather
- Onalaska city leaders call on Joint Municipal Court judge to resign