LA CROSSE, Wis. - Facebook will be requiring users to take extra steps to see News Feed posts from their favorite publisher pages.
A new initiative from the social media site is going to deprioritize content from Facebook pages and put an emphasis on interactions between family and friends.
Facebook officials said content from reputable publishers will be pushed in News Feed, but they have not defined what reputable means. There are concerns that legitimate news articles from trustworthy media sources will not be pushed to Facebook users.
"Because space in News Feed is limited, showing more posts from friends and family and updates that spark conversation means we'll show less public content," Facebook officials said in a blog post on Jan. 11.
Here's how you can make sure your favorite pages show up in your News Feed, using News 8 as an example:
- Go to the WKBT/News8000 Facebook page.
- Tap the "Following" icon on the upper left side of the screen.
- Select "See First."
- Stay informed on local news, so you never miss a story.
- Committee vote canceled on 'alcohol czar' bill
- Wisconsin Assembly passes Walker's welfare overhaul bills
- Wisconsin Assembly OKs wetland permit exemptions bill
- Prairie du Chien's Matt Antoine comes up short in pursuit of Olympic medal
- Local school districts discuss security measures following Florida mass shooting
- Backpacks donated to local police departments in memory of young murder victim
- Health experts point to lack of residential treatment access for drug addicts
- News 8 Highlight Zone - February 16, 2018
- Community efforts continue to restore Myrick duck house
- ‘Alcohol czar' bill vote canceled