WINONA, Minn. (WKBT) - An EF1 tornado touched down in a cemetery near Winona this morning.
According to the National Weather Service of La Crosse, the brief tornado damaged trees, a building and headstones within Woodlawn Cemetery Wednesday morning. Peak winds may have reached 95 mph.
Woodlawn Cemetery told News 8 the estimated damage is $100,000-150,000 and is asking community members to avoid the area until the debris is cleaned up.
Other trees and power line damage was reported within the city, but the National Weather Service says that appears to be from high wind.
Get your weather forecast from people that actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
- La Crosse County to get two new full-time prosecutors
- La Crosse Bandshell paver donation deadline set
- Funds needed following K9 Zaback's surgery
- First peanut allergy drug close to FDA approval
- Widows ask lawmakers to OK police insurance bill
- Eleva family creates corn maze honoring Wounded Warrior Project
- New peanut allergy treatment research has local origins
- 11 Minnesota State Fair visitors sickened by E. coli
- Presidential candidate Bernie Sanders to hold town hall in Decorah
- 2 arrested on child pornography charges