LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - Americans will be spending more money on Easter this year in comparison to last year.
According to the National Retail Federation, Americans will spend more than $18 billion on Easter this year.
That number is 6 percent larger than money spent last year, which benefits local retailers.
Finnottes store manager Laurie Finn is excited to finally welcome Spring because she knows business usually peaks around this time of the year.
And it's nothing short of sweet.
"Marshmallow eggs, chocolate chicks and foiled eggs, speckled malted milk balls, those are the standards but in our store we actually get to have a lot more," Finn said.
According to statistics, an average of $152 will be spent per person this year for Easter.
More than $2 billion will be spent on candy and more than $3 billion will be spent on clothes and shoes.
Store manager of Tradehome Shoes Merle Bries says with the warmer warming up right around Easter... more people are on the hunt for a new wardrobe.
"Sandals are a really big thing right now, Birkenstocks, Chacos, brands like that really get people excited about the Spring so Easter kind of spearheads that," said Bries.
While numbers show that only about a quarter of Easter shoppers will buy at local shops, at places like Finnottes it's never a problem.
"We have so many people who come in and it's an absolute tradition and a lot of the times it's the grandparents being able to pick out that one special treat for their grandkids and they do it each year," said Finn.
The National Retail Federation also credits the warmer weather this year for driving sales across the nation.
- Update: One fatality reported following I-90 crash
- More students seek help for sexual assault last semester
- News 8 Sports Round Up-January 20, 2018
- Big 9 Dance conference championships held in Winona
- Right to Life group holds peaceful protest outside Gundersen Medical Center
- Skiers remember a fallen friend while hitting the slopes
- Wis. GOP watching political climate ahead of primaries
- Defense wins championships, or at least the NFC title
- News 8 Highlight Zone - January 19, 2018
- Burglary suspect arrested day after posting bond