WEST SALEM, Wis. (WKBT) - A local event is bringing kids and law enforcement together.
The third annual Day at the Lake was held at Lake Neshonoc in West Salem Sunday.
Kids from the Boys and Girls Club, Big Brothers Big Sisters, and members of the community were invited to join law enforcement officials for a day of fun.
The event honors Sara Hougom, who was tragically murdered in 2012.
Sherry Hougom, mother of Sara, and president of the Sara Rose Hougom foundation said the event is a way for kids to connect better with local law enforcement.
“For me I wanted to be able to unite the kids with the police, to know that they're there to help us. They're so wonderful, they do so much for our community. For the police to bond with the kids and everything we do is Sara style. It's done with a positive, happy energetic zest for life,” Hougom said.
About 300 people attended the event.
- Walker proposes Wisconsin welfare overhaul package
- News 8 Investigates: Human Trafficking
- Missing Fort Atkinson mom, daughter found safe in Madison
- Coon Valley woman charged in drug overdose death
- Wisconsin unemployment hit record low in December
- La Crosse Center board picks design for renovation
- Boys charged in $60,000, bee-killing vandalism
- Registered Sex Offender wanted by police
- Racine police fatally shoot man after traffic stop
- Officials search for missing Fort Atkinson mom, daughter last seen Wednesday