CASHTON, Wis. (WKBT) - The Monroe County Sheriff's Office has a suspect in custody following a fatal shooting early Friday morning near Cashton.
The Monroe County 911 Communications Center received a 911 call at approximately 4:43 a.m. Friday about the shooting in the Town of Jefferson. Shortly after deputies and medical personnel arrived, the victim, Israel Garcia Alcantara, 25, died from his injuries.
After further investigation, authorities were able to locate and arrest Adalberto Mateo Quinonez Lopez for the homicide. Adalberto was located in Juneau County and taken into custody without incident by Monroe County and Juneau County officers.
Adalberto's initial bond hearing is scheduled for Tuesday.
The shooting is believed to be an isolated incident and the public is not in danger. Cashton schools were closed earlier in the morning before the suspect was identified.
The case is still under investigation.
- Wisconsin Assembly to pass tax credit, prison funding
- Carfentanyl makes its way to La Crosse, leading to more doses of Narcan
- La Crosse man charged with assault, woman hid in gas station
- Vino Fest features Wisconsin wines with help from tourism grant
- Teen arrested for bringing loaded gun to Madison school
- Shelters open amid Midwest flooding as rivers keep rising
- Public meeting held on Hwy. 35 reconstruction plan
- Local students hold candlelight vigil for Florida school shooting victims
- Car goes through ice on Lake Onalaska, owner rescued
- Brewers owner Attanasio has eye on ending playoff drought