LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - One of the men involved in an early morning shootout and chase with police appeared in court Tuesday.
Wyatt Helfrich, 19, of La Crosse stood in front of a La Crosse County judge Tuesday morning. Helfrich is charged with two counts of use of deadly force against an officer, two counts of assault with a dangerous weapon, and fleeing officers in a vehicle.
Helfrich is one of the two men La Crescent officers pulled over near La Crescent early Monday morning.
The two men began firing at the officers and fled the scene, continuing to shoot at the officers. The suspects ran into stop sticks placed by responding officers and crashed into a field, where they tried to flee on foot before being caught.
Helfrich was taken to the hospital for non- life threatening injuries. He was jailed in La Crosse the same day. The other man, William Wallfraff, 19, is being held in the Houston County Jail.
Neither of the officers were injured and both are on administrative leave.
- Assignment: Education - School staff shortage
- Screnock, Dallet advance in Wisconsin Supreme Court primary
- Voters in West Salem approve school referendum
- Two advance in Tomah mayoral race
- Voters in Viroqua choose two to move on in mayor's race
- Supreme Court asked to review 'Making a Murderer' confession
- Rent-to-Own bill passes Wis. Assembly
- Wis. bill would put millions toward millennial ad campaign
- Breast density notice bill headed to Wis. governor
- Wetland bill heading to Gov. Walker's desk