RACINE, Wis. (AP) - Racine police say one of their officers has been killed while trying to stop an armed robbery at a local bar.
A statement from Police Chief Arthel Howell Tuesday says Officer John Hetland, who was off duty, was fatally shot at Teezers bar Monday about 9:40 p.m. when he intervened in the crime.
Multiple law enforcement agencies are searching for the gunman, who was masked when he entered the bar. One of the bar's owners posted on Facebook that the suspect fired his gun and fled out the back door after a struggle.
Police officers could be seen embracing at the scene of the shooting. Hetland was a 24-year veteran of the Racine Police Department.
Get your weather forecast from people that actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
- UPDATE: Pilot dies in Vernon County plane crash
- Teen killed during storm cleanup was from Melrose
- Onalaska man runs red light, faces 6th OWI
- Over 30 car break-ins reported in La Crosse over weekend
- Two arrested in prescription drug fraud investigation in Vernon Co.
- Evers seeks federal disaster declaration for 18 counties
- Wisconsin school bus companies scramble to find drivers
- Well Water to be collected for testing in West Salem
- Skogen Family Welcome Center opens at Viterbo University
- MVC grant supports 'outdoor classrooms' in 9 counties