AHSWAUBENON, Wis. (AP) - A man accused of stealing a large crucifix from a church near Green Bay and using it to damage a sign outside a TV station is now facing disorderly conduct charges in Marathon County.
Police in Wausau arrested 29-year-old Brendan McSweeney following a disturbance at a restaurant Friday night. McSweeney is also charged with criminal damage to property and resisting an officer in that case.
McSweeney is suspected of walking into Nativity of Our Lord parish in Ashwaubenon earlier in the day, stealing the crucifix, then using it to bash a sign outside WLUK-TV.
Authorities say relatives have told investigators McSweeney has a mental illness and has not been taking his medication. He appeared in Marathon County Circuit Court Monday afternoon. Court records do not list an attorney for McSweeney.
Information from: WLUK-TV, http://www.fox11online.com
- Schools & Weather related cancellations for Tuesday, Feb. 20
- Wis. Supreme Court primary today
- Spring primary ballot will include school referendum in West Salem
- Wisconsin tweaks dairy insurance program
- Walker pushes health care plan ahead of state Senate vote
- Volunteers aim to keep seniors sharp with virtual reality
- La Crosse residents brave icy conditions following freezing rain
- Project to bring apartments, preschool, commercial space to downtown Winona
- Wisconsin attorney general open to allowing guns in schools
- Results of sexual assault kit leads to arrest in 2008 assault