LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - A man being pursued by police for violating a traffic signal while riding a bicycle, hid in a water barrel to avoid arrest.
Joseph Schmitt hid from police in a water barrel behind the Freight House Restaurant in La Crosse on Sunday, May 26 at 9:42 p.m. The K-9 unit activated during the search found the suspect curled up in a barrel, according to police reports.
Schmitt is facing charges of resisting arrest, felony bail jumping, a bond violation and violating traffic signal for bike operator.
Get your weather forecast from people that actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
- UPDATE: One dead, three with life-threatening injuries in crash near Cashton
- Police identify Onalaska man killed in stabbing near Milwaukee
- Proposed La Crosse capital improvement budget includes $28.5 million in new borrowing
- Attack on Saudi Arabian oil facility could increase U.S. gas prices
- La Crosse PD K9 to retire early
- Onalaska man wins big in the Wisconsin Lottery
- Police: Victim of fatal stabbing near Milwaukee from Onalaska
- Healthcare Careers Open House offers look at Gundersen job openings
- Baldwin: Go Pack Go Act could help Wisconsinites watch Packers games, and more
- Wisconsin man accused of making THC cartridges charged