HASTINGS, Minn. (AP) - The boyfriend of a Minnesota foster mother has been sentenced to 25 years in prison for the fatal beating of a 3-year-old boy in her care.
Twenty-eight-year-old Charles Homich was sentenced Tuesday after pleading guilty earlier to second-degree murder in the June 2017 death of Zayden Lawson.
The Star Tribune reports Homich's girlfriend, 32-year-old Zeporia Fortenberry, was sentenced in June to nearly 3½ years after pleading guilty to second-degree manslaughter.
Authorities found Zayden without a pulse in an Eagan townhome. He was pronounced dead at a hospital.
Investigators say Fortenberry worked a night shift the previous evening and asked Homich to care for her two biological children and two foster children, Zayden and his younger brother.
Fortenberry said Homich would "lose his cool" if he had to change Zayden's diaper.
Get your weather forecast from people that actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
- Student speaks out against former UWL professor involved in sexual misconduct case
- Inspired by couple, La Crosse Common Council approves Committee for Citizens with Disabilities
- Six arrested in Green Lake County sex trafficking bust, police say
- Bliss Road to close Friday
- Winona Senior High School students making positive influences in service learning class
- La Crosse presents sanitary sewer agreements to surrounding communities
- Onalaska woman shares fight with colorectal cancer in hopes of warning others
- Winona swimming wins home meet vs. Rochester John Marshall
- Donation supports Hunger Task Force in La Crosse
- La Crosse, Onalaska mayors battle for a good cause