LAKE ELMO, Minn. (AP) - Washington County authorities say a suicidal man was fatally shot in a confrontation with deputies early Thursday in Lake Elmo.
The sheriff's office says in a news release that it got a call just after midnight about a 23-year-old man who had made suicidal comments. Deputies found the man, who was armed with a handgun, near the intersection of Lake Elmo Avenue and 34th Street North.
Details are sketchy. Chief Deputy Brian Mueller says the deputies tried talking with him to de-escalate the situation. At some point they tried less-lethal ammunition, but one deputy later fired his gun at the man.
Lifesaving efforts were made at the scene, but he was pronounced dead at Regions Hospital in St. Paul.
The state Bureau of Criminal Apprehension has taken over the investigation.
- La Crosse city planning department nears contract agreement with Riverside North Project developer
- UW-La Crosse students give up their hair to raise funds to research childhood cancer
- Program filling the need for doctors in rural Wisconsin
- La Crosse man sentenced to 71 months on Methamphetamine charge
- Alicia Leinberger announces she is running for 96th district assembly
- Milwaukee health officials issue synthetic marijuana alert
- Child abuse prevention month walk brings together family for final event
- Home owners take possession of home thanks to La Crosse program
- Habitat for Humanity La Crosse Area reaches building milestone
- Is coffee causing you to be dehydrated? Study says no