LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - Bond is set Monday for a man who allegedly stole a vehicle and crashed near Sparta this weekend.
Monday afternoon, Judge Ramona Gonzalez set bond at $10,000 cash for 31- year- old Christopher Benson from La Crosse.
Benson allegedly stole a vehicle Saturday night and drove up to one-hundred miles per hour from La Crosse to Sparta along Interstate 90. Officers chased the vehicle until it went off the road near Sparta. Benson ran from the accident but was found hiding in a vehicle in a garage in the Sparta area.
He faces nine charges, including Recklessly Endangering Safety and Operating a Motor Vehicle Without Consent.
A La Crosse man took authorities on a 20 mile pursuit this weekend on I-90.
Felony charges are pending for Christopher N. Benson, 31, who led police on a high-speed chase in a stolen car reaching speeds of up to 100 mph on I-90, according to a police report.
The chase began at the 1400 block of Caledonia. Benson sped through La Crosse and then onto I-90. Benson drove over stop sticks near mile marker 19 and lost control of the car and drove into a ditch and then into a field. A Monroe County Sheriff found Benson in a garage nearby.
Benson faces charges of operating a motor vehicle without the owner’s consent, recklessly endangering safety, fleeing police and bail jumping.
- Holmen High students raise money for classmate's dad
- Downtown Mainstreet hosts Santa workshop
- Toys For Tots pickup distributed to community
- Crime lab expert's testimony runs contrary to Kendhammer's explanation of alleged crash
- Historic Hiawatha statue causes controversy
- Partisan divide deepens over Walker investigation
- 50 La Crosse jobs impacted by change at CenturyLink
- Proposed La Crosse Center renovations would bring in visitors, millions in revenue
- La Crosse's Rotary Lights on track for record year
- News 8 Sports Round Up-December 9, 2017