ACKLEY, Iowa (AP) - A north-central Iowa man and his girlfriend have been charged with kidnapping after police say the couple tortured the man's 8-year-old son for months by locking him in a basement enclosure for hours every day, withholding food and having a dog bite him.
The Hardin County Attorney's Office announced Wednesday that 39-year-old Traci Lynn Tyler and 30-year-old Alex Craig Shadlow, both of Ackley, are each charged with kidnapping.
An arrest affidavit says the abuse happened between July and September 2017 when the boy was locked at least 9 hours a day in an enclosed 6-foot square space under the basement stairs, where he had to sleep on concrete with no bedding and had no access to a bathroom.
Police say Tyler also beat the boy with a fly swatter handle and urged her dog to bite and attack the boy, leaving permanent scarring on his back and limbs.
Authorities were alerted to the abuse by the boy's school.
- La Crosse Firefighters head to Madison to help grieving first responders
- Central's Davis twins commit to Wisconsin
- About 1,000 dead trout have collected from a creek after manure spill
- Run/walk honoring Jesse Parker ends, but dream that inspired it lives on
- Area run/walk raises awareness and support to prevent veteran suicides
- Deke Slayton Museums celebrates 20 years of sharing space history
- There's dancing and fun with firefighters in Galesville
- Area farmers cook up breakfast for the community
- Onalaska Fire Department celebrates 125 years of serving community
- La Crosse fire department welcomes two new firefighters