CLARINDA, Iowa (AP) - Authorities say an inmate punched a guard at the state prison in Clarinda.
The Iowa Corrections Department said in a news release Wednesday that the correctional officer was trying to make an inmate follow directives Tuesday evening when the inmate kicked at the officer. The guard used pepper spray on the inmate, but the inmate punched the guard in the face and wrestled the guard to the floor despite another dose of pepper spray.
The department says the guard then gained control of the inmate as other officers arrived to help.
The guard completed his shift despite the minor scratches and bruises he suffered.
The names of those involved have not been released.
- La Crosse Valley View Mall confirms Herberger's liquidation
- Weather related cancellations for April 18
- Wisconsin Elections Commission to use federal grant money for fall elections
- Assignment: Education - Spartan SOUP
- Backpage seized by federal government
- Crypto outbreak spreads from La Crosse across Wisconsin
- Man charged with murder in Waukon shooting
- La Crosse County receives "A" in air quality
- Liquidation firms win bid for The Bon-Ton Stores
- La Crosse Street project sees movement after WisDOT meeting