LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - La Crosse police say the number of incidents involving guns lately is alarming.
Saturday night, La Crosse police had multiple calls involving guns, starting with an attempted armed robbery outside of Vick's Bar at 3749 Mormon Coulee Road, where a suspect pointed a hand gun at a victim demanding money, police said.
Shortly after that, police received a complaint of a theft of a handgun stolen from a victim's car that was parked at Vick's Bar.
Later that night, police were called to Subway at 3810 Mormon Coulee Road for a man shot in the shoulder.
Police determined that Mackey Drake, 17, had broken into a vehicle at Vick's Bar, stolen the handgun and attempted to rob a victim at that same location. Drake then met up with another juvenile who accidentally shot him in the shoulder, according to police. Drake is in the La Crosse County Jail and is charged with armed robbery and theft.
Police also responded Sunday morning to 8th and Ferry Street for multiple reports of gunfire. The area was searched, but nothing was located.
La Crosse police have seen a 157 percent increase in gun calls when comparing 2017 to 2010.
Captain Jason Melby says the type of gun calls vary for each incident, but some calls are part of a recurring pattern.
"You end up seeing these weapons used for home entries, armed robberies like the one we did this weekend, (and) frequently drug dealers will arm themselves so they don't get ripped off by other drug dealers," said Melby. "These are all things that affect the safety of the officers on the street and safety of the public in general, so when we have events like this, we think it's important that the public is aware of it."
- Genzie's Gameday Pub hosts 2nd annual soup cook-off for the troops
- Fire at a Winona apartment displaces 5 residents
- Robotics teams from all over the region meet for a preseason scrimmage
- Doctors emphasize the benefits of exercising at target heart rate
- Fire fully engulfs barn with cattle inside
- La Crosse-area community members share stories of climate change
- Local Lupus Alliance to host 'Murder at the Disco' in March
- Centerville Curling Club teaches the public about the sport of curling
- Viterbo hosts Engineering Exploration Day to showcase new engineering program
- Project Linus makes blankets for kids in need