DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - Authorities say a 2-year-old child died in Des Moines after ingesting a woman's prescription medications.
A Des Moines police news release says 38-year-old Amanda Leonard-Helum was arrested Tuesday in Waterloo on a warrant for child endangerment causing death. She was taken to Polk County Jail and remained there Wednesday, pending $25,000 bail. It's unclear whether she has an attorney.
Police say Leonard-Helum, of Waterloo, was trying to adopt the little boy, who was a child of her former boyfriend. She'd driven herself and the boy to Des Moines from Waterloo on June 26.
She learned after they arrived that the child had swallowed some of her medications. Police say she decided to monitor him rather than seek medical care. He died overnight. Toxicology reports indicate he died of an overdose of her medicines.
Get your weather forecast from people that actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
- 2019 Oktoberfest parade marshals announced
- Arcadia boy makes his football dreams come true despite all odds
- La Crosse teacher nominated for Presidential Teaching Award
- Wisconsin DNR conducting training to investigate hunting-related incidents
- 2 arrested on child pornography charges
- Fashion show raises money to help empower young girls
- 17th annual Top Notch Teacher Banquet
- La Crosse County hosts Outdoor Writers Conference
- New superintendent starts for Prairie du Chien
- Suicide Prevention Summit in La Crosse explore causes, solutions