OSKALOOSA, Iowa (AP) - Authorities have arrested three people who they say weighted down the body of woman and put her in a southern Iowa river to conceal her drug overdose death.
The Iowa Public Safety Department said in a news release Tuesday that 27-year-old Cody Vancenbrock, 34-year-old Holly Kelly and her husband, 28-year-old Nicholas Kelly, face a variety of charges, including abuse of a corpse. Mahaska County court records don't list lawyers for any of them.
The department says 24-year-old Ashley Shafer died after Vancenbrock injected her with methamphetamine on Aug. 5 at the Kellys' Oskaloosa apartment.
The department says her body was driven to a rural area of Mahaska County, weighted down and put in the South Skunk River. The body was found and recovered the next day.
Charges against Vancenbrock include involuntary manslaughter.
Get your weather forecast from people that actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
- UPDATE: One dead, three with life-threatening injuries in crash near Cashton
- Police identify Onalaska man killed in stabbing near Milwaukee
- Proposed La Crosse capital improvement budget includes $28.5 million in new borrowing
- La Crosse PD K9 to retire early
- Onalaska man wins big in the Wisconsin Lottery
- Police: Victim of fatal stabbing near Milwaukee from Onalaska
- Healthcare Careers Open House offers look at Gundersen job openings
- Baldwin: Go Pack Go Act could help Wisconsinites watch Packers games, and more
- Wisconsin man accused of making THC cartridges charged
- Lawyer: Ex-Wisconsin nurse to plead guilty to hurting babies