OSKALOOSA, Iowa (AP) - Authorities have arrested three people who they say weighted down the body of woman and put her in a southern Iowa river to conceal her drug overdose death.
The Iowa Public Safety Department said in a news release Tuesday that 27-year-old Cody Vancenbrock, 34-year-old Holly Kelly and her husband, 28-year-old Nicholas Kelly, face a variety of charges, including abuse of a corpse. Mahaska County court records don't list lawyers for any of them.
The department says 24-year-old Ashley Shafer died after Vancenbrock injected her with methamphetamine on Aug. 5 at the Kellys' Oskaloosa apartment.
The department says her body was driven to a rural area of Mahaska County, weighted down and put in the South Skunk River. The body was found and recovered the next day.
Charges against Vancenbrock include involuntary manslaughter.
Get your weather forecast from people that actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
- Holmen High School honoring Hmong Veterans
- Undergrad research showcased at Viterbo
- Planning process continues for Ward Avenue Kwik Trip in La Crosse
- More than 1,200 parking citations on first night of alternate side parking in La Crosse
- La Crosse Community Thanksgiving Dinner organizers focusing on bringing everyone together
- Local political expert clarifies impeachment proceedings; where do we go from here?
- Eau Claire Sheriff warns of person claiming to be officer
- Video shows Patterson prison fight
- Coon Valley woman charged in overdose death sentenced to probation
- Man accused of beating Madison Uber driver unconscious
- County declares itself Second Amendment sanctuary
- Man accused of using Porsche to smash through impound fence to get his car out
- Rabid kitten bites three people in Minnesota county
- Minneapolis officials discover 1,700 untested rape kits
- Holmen High School students honor Hmong veterans