LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - It has become the butt of jokes and even somewhat of a mascot for the city of La Crosse.
We're talking about the big blue baby statue by City Hall.
It was only supposed to be here on loan for about a year and then be sent back to its German artist.
But for some reason it hasn't moved on yet and no one really seems to be in a hurry to return it.
When asked about its status... even the City's Parks, Rec and Forestry Director had a hard time keeping a straight face, "Yeah, you know I mean it's amazing how many people know that he's there. The police department has been able to incorporate him into their facebook posts every now and again. You know he's kind of become a celebrity of La Crosse," according to Jay Odegaard.
The only concern about the statue is whether it can hold up to the severe weather we have here.
They do stay in contact with the artist, but right now the Blue Baby is expected to stay right where it is for some time.
Get your weather forecast from people that actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
- La Crosse Firefighters head to Madison to help grieving first responders
- Central's Davis twins commit to Wisconsin
- About 1,000 dead trout have collected from a creek after manure spill
- Run/walk honoring Jesse Parker ends, but dream that inspired it lives on
- Area run/walk raises awareness and support to prevent veteran suicides
- Deke Slayton Museums celebrates 20 years of sharing space history
- There's dancing and fun with firefighters in Galesville
- Area farmers cook up breakfast for the community
- Onalaska Fire Department celebrates 125 years of serving community
- La Crosse fire department welcomes two new firefighters