LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT)- - An event in La Crosse is looking to get people on the water and raise money for youth programs in our area.
The La Crosse Parks and Rec Department is hosting their first annual Catgut Paddle at Veterans Freedom Park this Saturday. The event features a 14 mile canoe/kayak race, a 4 mile fun paddle, and a number of other paddle related activities, including paddleboard jousting and paddleboard yoga.
"We want to get people out on the water." Says Michelle Jerome, one of the event coordinators. "A lot of times people either from the area or traveling to an area, they forget that we have these beautiful waterways to experience."
People looking to stay dry this weekend can still enjoy the event; there are a number of land activities for the whole family, including live music, a food truck court, and a yard games.
The proceeds from the day's events will go toward the Youth Enrichment Association, which provides children in our area with opportunities to enjoy the outdoors. The money will help fund scholarships, buy equipment and uniforms for youth sports leagues, and fund outings for children.
For more information on the event or to register for the race, you can visit https://catgutpaddle.com/
- Officials believe body of Iowa student Mollie Tibbetts found
- UPDATE: Search for wanted men in Trempealeau Co.
- Changes coming for acceptable plastics in La Crosse's recycling
- Shot fired in domestic incident on La Crosse's north side
- UPDATE: Torso, leg found in Mississippi River believed to be connected to other remains
- La Crosse man charged with 1st degree child sexual assault
- Dane County declares state of emergency after record-breaking rainfall, flooding
- Interim principal named at Logan Middle School
- La Crosse housing market seeing improvements across the board
- DOJ report shows 34 percent of La Crosse County sex crime victims are teenagers