MILWAUKEE (AP) - The Milwaukee County Transit System says an alert bus driver rescued a young child found wandering barefoot on a freeway overpass in frigid temperatures.
MCTS says the lost child, who was less than a year old, was wearing just a diaper and onesie when driver Irena Ivic spotted the young child Dec. 22 along her route in Milwaukee. Transit video shows the toddler walking down the overpass. Ivic stopped her bus, ran across the street, picked up the crying child and carried the toddler to the bus. As Ivic called for help, a passenger gave up her coat to keep the child warm before police and firefighters arrived. Authorities say besides being cold and frightened, the youngster was OK.
Police say the child had been left outside by his mother who may have been suffering from a mental health crisis.
Get your weather forecast from people that actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
- River Valley VA Clinic relocating to Valley View Mall
- Police: Arcadia business evacuated due to chemical spill
- City of La Crosse releases proposed 2020 Operating Budget
- Vice President Pence is scheduled to make two stops in Wisconsin
- Shady Kate's and Kate's Pizza Amore restaurants close
- Mayo Clinic Health System dedicates cancer center
- Salvation Army's Angel Giving Tree, Christmas food baskets open for registration
- U.S. Census Bureau needs takers for adequate counting
- Rose Street close north of Monitor Street in La Crosse for sewer repair
- $250,000 upgrades to dental spaces for Western Technical College