LAKE DELTON, Wis. - Lake Delton police said a 16-year-old Florida boy died Wednesday night after he fell from an outdoor water slide at Mt. Olympus Water and Theme Park.
The teen, whose name is not being released yet, his brother and a friend entered the park, which is closed for the season, around 10:30 p.m. Police said the area is fenced and all gates were locked.
"They actually approached a 7-foot-tall fence that was securely locked and scaled that fence to enter the area that was closed and restricted," Lake Delton police Chief Daniel Hardman said.
All three boys climbed to the top of the water slide. One of the brothers slid down the slide. According to the release, the boy got caught in accumulated snow, tried freeing himself and fell 35 feet to the ground.
"Our paramedics did the best that they could do, but his injuries were fatal," Hardman said.
The boy's family members were staying at the Mt. Olympus Water and Theme Park -- Hotel Rome and were on scene shortly after the incident.
Nick Laskaris, the owner of Mt. Olympus Water and Theme Park, said the fence and other safety measures were put in place for a reason, and there's nothing more his resort could have done to prevent the boys from getting into the closed-off area. He said his thoughts and prayers are with the family.
The Sauk County Coroner's Office is investigating.
- Holmen community launches 'Holmen Cares'
- La Crosse-based company to provide 2018 Super Bowl hotdogs
- Highway 16 lane closure begins Tuesday for storm sewer repairs
- Prairie du Chien's Antoine named to '18 U.S. Olympic Skeleton Team
- Candidate for Wisconsin state Supreme Court visited La Crosse during MLK day
- Officials say Holmen apartment complex fire began inside car
- Rochester teenager shot, killed after crash, confrontation
- January 15: Cancellations and Delays
- La Crosse firefighters respond to trailer home fire
- Holmen addresses ongoing needs of residents displaced by fire