WINONA, Minn. (WKBT) - Authorities have recovered the body of a Winona Man who went missing while boating on the Mississippi River. Winona County Sheriff Ron Ganrude told News 8 that the body was recovered around 8 o'clock Saturday.
Multiple agencies searched along the river for the man, while the Minnesota State Patrol used its helicopter above the area Saturday.
The Winona County Dispatch Center received a report of a boat in distress near the Prairie Island Campground around 7-30 p.m. Friday.
The Sheriff says two people were fishing along the spillway when the swift water pulled them over the drop. The boat took on water and capsized.
"The younger man in the boat was able to hold on to the boat until the second boater came up and pulled him out. The other boater we have not seen since," said Ganrude.
The search for the 63-year-old man was called off last night once it became too dark.
The missing man's family members were on the scene during the search and the sheriff said they were stunned by the incident.
"I think they're all in shock that this happened. I'm told he fishes all the time. This is his area, he knows it really well, so it's surprising that there was an accident that happened here," Ganrude said.
Neither man was wearing a life jacket at the time of the incident, authorities said.
Authorities have cleared the scene.
Get your weather forecast from people that actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
- Power restored to most Xcel Energy customers after widespread outages
- Medical students, first responders practice reacting to disaster in rural areas
- Audience gets out of this world experience with Viroqua astronaut
- Downed trees damage Galesville campground during storm
- Kids help kids enjoy community pool with concert
- Multiple generations of veterans reunite in Onalaska
- Richland Center man to be charged in connection with Viroqua theft
- Dozens of log rollers compete in La Crosse Open
- Habitat ReStore's new location opens for business in Winona
- Demolition begins for Great River Residence Project