WINONA, Minn. (WKBT) - Authorities have recovered the body of a Winona Man who went missing while boating on the Mississippi River. Winona County Sheriff Ron Ganrude told News 8 that the body was recovered around 8 o'clock Saturday.
Multiple agencies searched along the river for the man, while the Minnesota State Patrol used its helicopter above the area Saturday.
The Winona County Dispatch Center received a report of a boat in distress near the Prairie Island Campground around 7-30 p.m. Friday.
The Sheriff says two people were fishing along the spillway when the swift water pulled them over the drop. The boat took on water and capsized.
"The younger man in the boat was able to hold on to the boat until the second boater came up and pulled him out. The other boater we have not seen since," said Ganrude.
The search for the 63-year-old man was called off last night once it became too dark.
The missing man's family members were on the scene during the search and the sheriff said they were stunned by the incident.
"I think they're all in shock that this happened. I'm told he fishes all the time. This is his area, he knows it really well, so it's surprising that there was an accident that happened here," Ganrude said.
Neither man was wearing a life jacket at the time of the incident, authorities said.
Authorities have cleared the scene.
Get your weather forecast from people that actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
- Dahl YMCA vandalism suspect turns himself in
- Lane closure on Rose Street, La Crosse may cause delays
- Winona Police warn of increase in vehicle vandalism
- Kendall man sentenced to 60 years for sex crimes against children
- Mayo Clinic study shows toxic chemicals may be to blame for vaping-related illnesses
- Report details violent weekend at juvenile prison
- Jayme Closs: Feeling stronger every day
- 'Making a Murderer' figure Avery files promised appeal
- Football gives one family a chain reaction
- La Crosse and Onalaska disagreeing with proposed Sewer Service Agreement