The flooding caused by Hurricane Harvey is impacting the blood supply in Texas and BloodCenter of Wisconsin is sending a shipment of blood products today and anticipate more will be needed later this week.
All blood collections in Houston have been canceled; donor centers are closed and most blood drives canceled due to vehicles being unable to reach the drive locations.
According to the release, Blood centers from around the country have sent nearly 1,000 units of blood to Texas already, but an additional 1,000 are needed.
O negative and O positive blood types are needed, as well as platelets, the release said.
To donate blood, call 1-877-BE-A-HERO or visit www.bcw.edu.
- Fire at a Winona apartment displaces 5 residents
- Fire fully engulfs barn with cattle inside
- La Crosse-area community members share stories of climate change
- Local Lupus Alliance to host 'Murder at the Disco' in March
- Centerville Curling Club teaches the public about the sport of curling
- Viterbo hosts Engineering Exploration Day to showcase new engineering program
- Project Linus makes blankets for kids in need
- Committee vote canceled on 'alcohol czar' bill
- Wisconsin Assembly passes Walker's welfare overhaul bills
- Wisconsin Assembly OKs wetland permit exemptions bill