SPARTA, Wis. (WKBT) - UPDATE: Authorities release the name of the person killed in an early Sunday morning crash in Monroe County.
The Monroe County Sheriff's Office said Keith Wayne Nelson, 70, of Warrens died at the scene. Nelson was the passenger in the vehicle, authorities said.
PREVIOUS: One person is dead and another injured after a single-vehicle crash in Monroe County Sunday morning.
The Monroe County Sheriff’s Office said the crash happened at 1:55 a.m. in the village of Warrens.
The driver, Yancy Dieter, 44 was traveling eastbound on county Highway EW, east of Jellystone Park Drive when his vehicle went off the road and hit some telephone boxes and trees before rolling on its top.
A passenger in the vehicle died. Dieter was transported to Tomah Memorial Hospital with serious injuries.
Officials believe speed and alcohol were factors in the crash. It is unknown if either person was wearing a seat belt.
The crash remains under investigation.
- News 8 Investigates: Human Trafficking
- La Crosse Center board picks design for renovation
- Boys charged in $60,000, bee-killing vandalism
- UW-La Crosse receives record donation
- Registered Sex Offender wanted by police
- La Crescent Police Department adds body cams
- Racine police fatally shoot man after traffic stop
- Coon Valley woman charged in drug overdose death
- Officials search for missing Fort Atkinson mom, daughter last seen Wednesday
- La Crosse Co. Emergency Management on standby during Super Bowl