MADISON, Wis. - State health officials said three Wisconsinites were sickened related to an outbreak of salmonella from a prepackaged gas station snack.
The Wisconsin Department of Health Services said in a news release Tuesday that it is working with multiple state agencies to investigate an ongoing multi-state outbreak of salmonellosis linked to consumption of certain Del Monte vegetable trays. In addition to the three people in Wisconsin, one person in Minnesota fell ill after eating a Del Monte vegetable tray purchased from a Wisconsin or Minnesota Kwik Trip.
DHS said Kwik Trip is cooperating with regulatory officials and has removed all Del Monte vegetable trays from their stores.
According to the release, the patients reported becoming ill April 13- 27. DHS said it's possible more people could come forward with related illnesses because of the the several-week delay from when a person becomes ill to when it's reported to public health agencies.
The Del Monte vegetable trays associated with the illnesses contain broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and dill dip, officials said. The same trays also may have been distributed to other retailers in Wisconsin. Officials are also investigating product distribution.
DHS and DATCP report the potential for salmonella in veggie trays sold at certain convenience stores and other locations. Get details at https://t.co/6C7eaE6bWX @DHSWI @widatcp #FoodSafety pic.twitter.com/GMIG9K9exy— WIDeptHealthServices (@DHSWI) May 21, 2019
DHS said consumers are shouldn't eat 6- or 12-ounce Del Monte Vegetable Trays containing broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and dill dip.
Health officials said salmonellosis is caused by consuming food or water contaminated with Salmonella bacteria, or by direct or indirect contact with fecal matter from infected people or animals. Symptoms include diarrhea, abdominal pains, fever and vomiting that lasts several days. Bloodstream infections are rare, but can be quite serious in young children, older adults and people with weakened immune systems. DHS said most people recover from salmonellosis on their own, but may require extra fluids to prevent dehydration.
Officials also said washing fruits and vegetables before before eating them can prevent illness from Salmonella and other bacteria.
Anyone who consumed a Del Monte Vegetable tray purchased at any retail location and is experiencing symptoms of salmonellosis should contact a health care provider. Ill consumers in Wisconsin should also contact their local health department, DHS said. Ill Minnesotans should contact the Minnesota Department of Health.
Get your weather forecast from people who actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
- 'Hate Has No Home Here' signs removed from La Crosse park
- Cancer drug shortage could impact local treatment center
- La Crosse Center holds Public Input Session, video walk through
- Suicide rate among youths skyrocketing
- University of Wisconsin sees decrease in enrollment
- Hwy 61 Intersection Safety Project set for 2020
- Wisconsin unemployment rate goes up
- Tips for safe Halloween decorating
- New parking permit options at two La Crosse parking ramps
- Women's Fund impact highlighted ahead of annual fall luncheon