LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - Students in La Crosse are learning about how to be safe during the summer.
Wednesday's 'Slide Into Safety' event taught kids ways to be safe while staying active this summer.
Third grade students from around the area learned about things like boating safety and the importance of wearing helmets.
Organizers say kids can be helpful in preventing injuries.
"And they do actually learn a lot when they are here, but I think even if they take away one thing that can prevent them from getting an injury this summer, that is really what we want," said Megan Anderson, Coordinator of the Coulee Region Safe Kids.
Nearly half of all injuries among children occur during the summer months.
- Jury selected for abuse case involving area principal
- Man charged with murder in death of Iowa college student Mollie Tibbetts
- UPDATE: Search for wanted men in Trempealeau Co.
- The Latest: Searchers find body in Wisconsin floodwaters
- Dane County declares state of emergency after record-breaking rainfall, flooding
- La Crosse residents voice needs at capital budget meeting
- Onalaska youth football program implements TackleBar system for safety
- New Horizons hosting fundraising party to observe 40 years in La Crosse
- La Crosse pools, beaches close for the year
- La Crosse Distilling Company set to open in coming weeks