Monroe County reports 3rd COVID-19 death

LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) — The Monroe County Health Department reported Tuesday that a third resident has died of COVID-19.

The resident was a woman in her 80s who had been hospitalized. The previous two deaths were both men in their 70s who had been hospitalized.

“Monroe County Health Department sends our deepest condolences to the family, friends and
community of this individual and those impacted by this loss of life. We continue to take this
virus seriously and we ask that the community does so too” said Sharon Nelson, Director/Health Officer of the Department. “While COVID-19 creates many difficulties and inconveniences for all of us, we ask that community members do their part to stop the spread. Every COVID-19 death is simply one too many.”

Nelson urged people to take steps to prevent the spread of COVID-19, including isolating themselves if they are exposed, staying at home as much as possible, and limiting travel to areas with large numbers of COVID-19 cases.

“Staying at home and physical distancing are our best tools” said Nelson. “Everything matters.
The better we do our part in protecting ourselves and others the better our outcomes will be and the quicker we will get through this.”

The health department also recommends wearing a mask, washing your hands frequently and maintaining a six-foot distance whenever possible.