Man dies from carbon monoxide poisoning at horse fair

Incident occurred April 17

A man who suffered carbon monoxide poisoning at the Midwest Horse Fair has died.

A man and woman were taken to a hospital April 17 for carbon monoxide poisoning that happened at the Midwest Horse Fair that was held at the Alliant Energy Center.

The Dane County Medical Examiner said Lloyd Taylor, 61, of Junction City, died at a Milwaukee hospital and his death remains under investigation.

Crews were called to the fair at 9:55 a.m. Friday for reports of a man in a camper who was not responding.

Authorities at the scene told News 3 the patients were taken to the hospital for oxygen treatment. One man was semi-conscious while a woman was completely unresponsive, but both had a pulse and were breathing at the scene. Both were expected to survive, according to Dane County deputies.

Midwest Horse Fair spokesperson Paul Nemec said vendors at the show noticed their neighbors’ horses had not been fed or cared for Friday morning and called the fair’s ground managers.

Managers responded to a locked trailer with two unconscious people inside and had to break into a glass window to get them out. 

Nemec said a generator inside the trailer was likely the source of the carbon monoxide.

Comments

comments