This recipe comes to you from the Mongo & Lodi Facebook page. Please give them a visit and like the page to get even more great content!
It's amazing what you can do with a simple batter of eggs, milk, flour and sugar. This "refrigerator Velcro" can be augmented with just about any fruit you've got sitting around in the fridge or fruit basket and serve as an elegant, tasty finish to a brunch or dinner.
The French call this a flaugnarde, although on this side of the pond you'll more often see it called a clafoutis. Whatever you call it, it will fast become on of your go-to simple desserts. It's best cooked in a well-seasoned cast iron skillet, since those go effortlessly between stove top and oven.
1 cup whole milk
3 large eggs
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
6 tbsp. sugar, divided
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. almond extract
2 cups fruit (pretty much anything but citrus. If you use large fruit like apple, chop or slice them.)
3 tbsp. butter
2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine the milk, eggs, flour, salt, almond extract and 4 tbsp. of the sugar in a medium bowl. Mix well using a whisk or hand mixer until smooth.
Melt the butter in a 10-inch cast iron skillet over medium-low heat. When the butter is melted, add the fruit, lemon juice and remaining sugar. (NOTE: I had some leftover Key lime juice in the fridge, so I used that instead of lemon juice.) If using berries, cook just until the sugar dissolves and the fruit is warm. If using apples, cook slightly longer until the fruit starts to become tender.
Pour the batter over the fruit. Be sure the fruit is distributed evenly, like you would toppings on a pizza.
Put the pan in the preheated oven and cook for 25-30 minutes, until batter is set and the top is slightly browned. The finished product will be puffy, but will quickly deflate when cooled.
For an elegant touch, sprinkle slivered or sliced almonds atop the batter before baking or just as it comes out.
Top with whipped cream or ice cream, or just eat it straight!
- Highway 33 between Highway 27 and County Highway PC is closed due to a vehicle crash
- Police: Victim of fatal stabbing near Milwaukee from Onalaska
- Healthcare Careers Open House offers look at Gundersen job openings
- Baldwin: Go Pack Go Act could help Wisconsinites watch Packers games, and more
- Health officials: Mysterious, rare and sometimes fatal fungal infection on the rise in region
- Lane closure on part of Copeland Avenue starting
- Roadwork in village of Rockland expanding
- Braun's grand slam lifts Brewers past Cardinals 7-6
- Indians trim Twins 7-5 to salvage AL Central series finale
- Joey Roth hauls in 3 interceptions in victory of Illinois Wesleyan