Many elementary and middle school students are making and playing with homemade slime and it can be dangerous to pets.
According to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA), dogs also love homemade slime and want to eat it.
The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center reports it had a recent case where a dog died after ingesting the product, according to their website.
According to their site, homemade slime can present a variety of different concerns for small animals. Most inconsistencies are found due to the many different recipes with a wide array of ingredients.
Some ingredients, like white glue, glitter, shaving cream and starch, are generally considered to be non-toxic but can cause an upset stomach. However, the site says that other ingredients can cause more severe issues.
Laundry detergent is often the most dangerous ingredient in homemade slime. If a pet vomits after ingesting the slime, it can cause aspiration pneumonitis, which can be life-threatening.
Salt is commonly found in dough ornaments and homemade play dough. Excessive intake of salt can cause hypernatremia, which results in lethargy, polydipsia, GI upset, ataxia, tremors, seizures and death.
The ingredient Borax generally causes GI upset and irritation, but in high doses it can cause acute kidney injury as well.
For best treatment practices and more information, visit the ASPCA website here.
- RECALL: Kidde Dual Sensor Smoke Alarms
- La Crosse police arrest drug dealer awaiting trial
- Four students in custody for making threats at Eau Claire high school
- La Crosse County authorities arrest four on burglary charges
- Couple charged for keeping hundreds of animals in home
- Father of starved girl pleads guilty to assault
- Appeal on behalf of deceased serial killer dismissed
- Ex-officer charged in woman's death leaves jail
- News 8 Sports Round Up - March 21, 2018
- New arena makes indoor horse therapy possible