La Crosse County, city housing authorities awarded $1.6 million in HUD grants
LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) — The La Crosse County Housing Authority was awarded $1.37 million and the La Crosse County Housing Authority, $217,460 in U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development grants announced Tuesday.
On the Minnesota side of the Mississippi River, the Housing and Redevelopment Authority of Winona was awarded $805,771.
The awards were among more than $2.7 billion HUD awarded to almost 2,900 public housing authorities throughout the country, according to a HUD news release.
The money is from HUD’s Capital Fund Program, which offers the money for the housing authorities to use to build, renovate and/or modernize public housing in their communities. The agencies can use the money to complete large-scale improvements such as replacing roofs or making energy-efficient upgrades to heating system and installing water conservation measures.
The La Crosse and La Crosse County housing authorities are among 90 in Wisconsin that received a total of $25 million in grants.
Other such agencies in western and southern Wisconsin, and the amounts awarded, include:
• Boscobel Housing Authority — $105,090
• Eau Claire County Housing Authority — $32,306
• Eau Claire Housing Authority — $231,631
• Lafayette County Housing Authority — $ 57,087
• Monroe Housing Authority — $157,435
• Prairie du Chien Housing Authority — $70,170
• Richland Center Housing Authority — $104,828
• River Falls Housing Authority — $122,609
• Sauk City Housing Authority — $86,294
• Sauk County Housing Authority — $94,526
• Sparta Housing Authority — $94,320
• Tomah Public Housing Authority — $71,087
• Trempealeau County Housing Authority — $118,865
• Viroqua Housing Authority — $273,937
The federal government has been investing billions of dollars to develop and maintain public housing for more than 80 years, including the Capital Fund grants.
Also in the Gopher State, the HRA of Red Wing is to receive $238,345.
COPYRIGHT 2021 BY NEWS 8 NOW/NEWS 8000. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.