Gov. Evers announces additional $70 million in grants for small businesses

MADISON, Wis. — Gov. Tony Evers announced an additional $70 million in the second round of “We’re All In” grants Friday, adding to the $50 million announced last month.

According to a release, the second round total is $120 million to be invested in Wisconsin small businesses. There has been $185 million invested in the “We’re All In” grant program.

“There’s no business that hasn’t been affected by this pandemic, and we know folks across our state need our support now more than ever,” Evers said. “As we head into the winter months, we know we have to do everything we can to make sure our businesses have the resources they need as we continue fighting this virus.”

The application for grants closed Nov. 2. More than 48,000 grant applications were submitted for the second round of funding in a two-week time period.

The first round of grants provided more than $65 million in grants to more than 26,000 businesses, the release said.

“In my conversations with restaurants, taverns, small retail stores, and other businesses that rely on people gathering indoors, we know that the continued surge of COVID-19 infections is deepening the strain and uncertainty these businesses have been facing since March,” said WEDC Secretary and CEO Missy Hughes. “With thousands more businesses applying for the second phase of our ‘We’re All In’ grants than the first phase, we want to provide aid that can help these businesses carry on.”

The grants are funded by the federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security Act.