Friday night structure fire in Sparta completely destroys suite
There are no injuries to report and the fire is under investigation
SPARTA, Wis. (WKBT) – A structure fire Friday night in Sparta completely destroyed one suite, according to fire chief Mike Arnold.
The building houses eight tenants. Two tenants had fire and smoke damage and another two had smoke damage, the fire department says. No other tenants reported any damage.
The Sparta Area Fire District was dispatched at 6:43 p.m. Friday to 112 Milwaukee St. to a reported structure fire.
The fire chief arrived three minutes later and found one of the suites in the building fully engulfed in flames.
The fire is still under investigation, but Chief Arnold says workers were siphoning fuel out of a vehicle using a pump. A spark from the battery to power the pump caused the fire to ignite and spread quickly to some fuel being pumped.
A father and son were able to escape safely and call 911.
A wall collapsed roughly an hour into the fire, but there were no reported injuries.
Arnold says the fire department was on scene for six hours. Ten vehicles in the building were destroyed. Two other vehicles outside of the building were damaged.
The building is owned by WSR Properties.
The Sparta Area Fire District was assisted by the Sparta Police Department, Sparta Ambulance Service, Monroe County Sheriff’s Department, Monroe County 911 Center, and the Sparta Department of Public Works.
COPYRIGHT 2021 BY NEWS 8 NOW/NEWS 8000. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.