Firefighters put out house fire on south side of La Crosse
LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) — Working smoke detectors are being credited with alerting a couple of La Crosse residents to a home fire today.
Jeff Schott, a battalion chief with the La Crosse Fire Department, said a dehumidifier started a fire in the basement of a house several blocks from Shebly Mall, on the corner of of Elm Dr. and Leonard St.
According to a press release from the LCFD, the two people inside at the time of the fire were able to evacuate before first responder arrived.
Firefighters attacked the fire from the outside before moving to the basement to put it out.
Tri-State Ambulance, the La Crosse Police Department and Excel Energy worked with firefighters to secure the scene and keep the fire from doing any more damage.
“This is something that we train for, obviously, on an every-day basis. We have a certain level of preparation that goes into anything like this. And there’s also variables that go into any emergency scene, but I’m proud of the way our crews reacted. We had a full response and then the cooperation from everyone else on scene. We have benchmarks that we have to hit, and they were hit today,” said Schott.
The LCFD said there is extensive fire, smoke and water damage to the basement area. They say there is smoke damage to the first floor of the home.
The Red Cross is helping the people who can no longer live in the home due to the damage from smoke and fire.
Get your weather forecast from people that actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
COPYRIGHT 2020 BY NEWS 8000. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.