Finalists announced in La Crosse area concerto competition
LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) — Six high schoolers from Wisconsin, Minnesota and Iowa were named finalists Tuesday in the 22nd annual Richard Record Rising Stars Concerto Competition.
The competition, which is a Mayo Education Program of the La Crosse Symphony, honors young musicians and gives awards for talent. The six finalists will perform via video on the La Crosse Symphony YouTube page beginning at 3:30 p.m. Saturday. The livestream will remain available afterward.
The finalists are, in performance order:
- Violin – Penelope Corbett, a senior at Stillwater Area High School, Minn.
- Bassoon – Preston Atkins, a sophomore at Cedar Falls High School, Iowa
- Violin – Carrie Wang, a junior at Brookfields East High School, Wis.
- Piano – Orion Kim, a freshman at St. Paul’s Academy, Minn.
- Piano – Aurora Wang, a sophomore at Mounds View High School, Minn.
- Piano – Tasha Piyabongkarn, a freshman at Wayzata High School, Minn.
Honorable mentions include:
- William Gannon from Mendota Heights, Minn.
- Jacob Taggart from Blaine, Wis.
- Victor Spaeth from Onalaska, Wis.
- Hannah Stoutner from Whitehall, Wis.
The prizes to be awarded at the Finals competition this Saturday are:
- $2000 Dick Schroeder Memorial First Prize Award
- $1500 Jane Saline Memorial Second Prize Award
- $1000 Jay and Dawn Jaehnke Runner Up Award
- $1000 Thomas and Jan Brock Runner Up Award
- $500 John Bolstad Honorable Mention Award
- $500 Bill Koutsky Honorable Mention Award
The prizes will be awarded at the end of the program.
COPYRIGHT 2021 BY NEWS 8 NOW/NEWS 8000. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.