Fees waived for Wisconsin State Parks, Trails
State Parks, Trails And Restrooms Remain Open; Property Buildings Closed
MADISON, Wis. (WKBT) – Effective immediately, all fees are waived for Wisconsin State Parks and Trails that continue to remain open to the public.
Staying home as much as possible is what is recommended by the CDC, however, if a place with space is desired, heading to the state parks and trails can provide some benefits, both physical and mental.
Distance is key during this public health emergency. Please do not congregate at restrooms, self-registration stations or electronic kiosks. Additionally, do not gather in groups of 10 or more people and maintain six feet of distance from others.
The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources continues to receive the most up-to-date information and will adjust operations as conditions change. We will also continue to monitor on-the-ground circumstances each day to determine if park closures become necessary.
Beginning March 24, 2020, the DNR will implement the following changes to the operation of all state parks and recreation areas across the state consistent with guidance provided by the Wisconsin Department of Health and Department of Administration.
Here is the latest:
- Entrance fees are waived.
- Please do not congregate at self-registration stations or electronic kiosks.
- Restrooms on state properties will remain open given there are enough resources, cleaning supplies and access to personal protective equipment for staff to maintain them.
- Please do not congregate at restrooms.
All state park offices, visitor centers, and non-essential buildings are closed for the duration of the public health emergency
- Effective immediately, the DNR will close the following state buildings to the public: Park headquarters, offices, visitor centers, nature centers, research stations, ranger stations, shooting ranges, fish hatcheries, shelters, showers, concessions, and indoor group camp buildings on all DNR owned properties open to the public.
- Properties will continue to be staffed and outdoor recreational opportunities (hiking, trails, fishing, hunting, etc.) remain open at this time.
- Boat launches at state parks remain open.
- Visitors are reminded to practice proper personal hygiene to prevent the spread of COVID-19 and to limit group sizes to under ten people when enjoying state properties.
Camping And Special Permits
- All campsites (individual, group, and indoor) are closed through April 30, 2020.
Refunds will be issued to all customers.
- No new reservations will be accepted until further notice.
- DNR staff or Camis Reservations staff will be reaching out to individuals with current or upcoming group camping reservations to issue refunds. Any other questions regarding camping reservations can be directed to the Camis Call Center at 1-888-947-2757.
- DNR property managers will also be contacting groups or individuals who have existing special event permits.
- Our customer service representatives also continue to provide service via phone at 1-888-936-7463 from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily.
Hunting And Fishing
- Wisconsin’s waters are open. You can fish if you have a license. Normal season regulations apply.
- All current regulations apply for hunting, trapping, and fishing seasons.
- In light of Gov. Evers COVID-19 recommendations, please keep in mind the need for social distance, limited travel and proper handwashing.
People should follow simple steps to prevent illness and avoid exposure to this virus including:
- Avoid social gatherings with people of all ages (including playdates and sleepovers, parties, large family dinners, visitors in your home, non-essential workers in your house);
- Frequent and thorough hand washing with soap and water;
- Covering coughs and sneezes;
- Avoiding touching your face; and
- Staying home when able.
Important information for those sheltering in place:
Coronavirus: Your Local HQ – Click here for more information about your community
Community Guide for Take-out or Delivery
Business closings/changes in services
Community Events canceled/postponed
Live-stream music entertainment for the family
Charter to expand Showtime, Epix to all video subscribers
COPYRIGHT 2020 BY WKBT/News8000.com. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.