Father of slain Onalaska toddler now behind bars for domestic violence
Carlton Harris appeared in court Wednesday after being arrested for disorderly conduct and domestic violence charges which date back to 2019.
LA CROSSE (WKBT) — On Wednesday, Carlton Harris, the father of slain 3-year-old toddler Major Harris, appeared in La Crosse County Court via a remote connection.
Earlier this week, police arrested Harris in Sauk County. He has been facing charges for domestic violence and disorderly conduct since 2019.
In October 2021, both Harris’ ex-girlfriend Mallery Muenzenberger and his son, Major, were shot and killed by a man who police say later took his own life.
At La Crosse County Court Wednesday, Attorney Rachel Krueger suggested that the deaths of Harris’ son and ex-girlfriend have been weighing on him.
“He has been dealing with that,” Krueger said.
During the hearing, the state quashed the outstanding arrest warrant against Harris, but he still faces charges in La Crosse County and in Sauk County.
La Crosse County Circuit Court Judge Gloria Doyle ordered Harris back to court on October 6 at 2:30 in the afternoon.
Since the late Muenzenberger was Harris’ alleged victim, it remains unclear how strong the state’s case will be against him.
Executive Director of La Crosse’s New Horizons Outreach Center, Ann Kappauf, said that no matter the situation, domestic abusers need to be held to account.
“We should always believe the victims,” she said.
Meanwhile, Muenzenberger’s stepmother, Mary, said she is still grieving the loss of Mallery.
She added that her family has hired a private investigator to look into the details of her stepdaughter’s death.
Recent News Headlines from News 8 Now
COPYRIGHT 2022 BY NEWS 8 NOW/NEWS 8000. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.