WEST SALEM, Wis. (WKBT) - The 2018 La Crosse Hmong New Year Festival celebration started Saturday at Veterans Memorial Park in West Salem.
The day’s events included sports tournaments, and a wide variety of vendors that organizers say feels like walking into a flea market. There was also live music, dancing and spoken Hmong poetry.
Wa Yeng Vue, the vice chair of the festival, said the celebration brings in people from all over the state to take part in a gathering that helps make sure the next generation doesn't forget their traditional Hmong culture.
"We have to carry our culture, carry our Hmong name, and carry our way of celebration," said Vue.
A night event featuring a performance by Miracle Band started at 6:00 p.m. and went until 12:00 a.m.
The celebrations continued Sunday morning at 8:00 a.m.
- Millennial Panel conversation hopes to prepare leaders of tomorrow
- Local VFW holds ceremony to honor the fallen
- Local organizations work to end child abuse with Lube-A-Thon
- Fall Harvest Fest raises money for therapeutic lessons at HorseSense
- 6 and 24-hour walk/run raises money for Local Lupus Alliance