Crews respond to chimney fire at La Crosse house

Firefighters: Remember to clean your chimney

No one was home during a chimney fire at a house on the 2400 block of Red Wing Road in La Crosse Wednesday at about 2 p.m.

A person who drove by the home, which is about a mile away from Highway 16 just off of County Road B, saw flames coming out of the chimney and called for help. By the time firefighters arrived, the flames had died down to hot embers and smoke.

Firefighters found a pet that was safe in a different room.

La Crosse Fire Captain Ron Walker said crews believe the fire was caused by a build up of creosote. Walker said this is a good reminder for homeowners to pay attention to what the top of their chimneys look like.

“Consistency looks like a bunch of burnt marshmallows, if you see that, you know it’s time that you need to clean out both the bottom and the flue,” Captain Walker said.

Captain Walker said they’re getting fewer chimney fire calls every year and hopes it continues down that trend.

Comments

comments