Crews fight Jackson County pole shed fire

Shed appears to be total loss; No one injured in fire

No one was injured in a fire that appears to have destroyed a pole shed in the Township of Albion in Jackson County Monday night.

When Black River Falls firefighters arrived at N5056 Cloverdale Road, heavy smoke and flames were showing from a 70′ x 32′ pole shed. The owner and others were removing some of the contents from the shed.

Black River Falls Fire Chief Steve Schreiber said they were able to knock down the fire within the building but had trouble with a 200lb liquid propane (LP) gas tank that had vented and was burning. Chief Schreiber said the flames from the LP gas tank were in direct contact with the building, causing the fire to extend further into the structure.

Firefighters tried to cool and shut the tank off, but the valves had burnt off. Crews cooled the tank with a water stream, moved away from the building and allowed to burn off its gas while a water stream was kept on the tank.

Chief Schreiber said the pole shed appeared to be a total loss, but all contents were saved. The structure is insured, but damage estimates are not known at this time.

The cause of the fire is believed to be related to a corn burning stove used for heat in the pole shed.

The Melrose and Taylor Fire Departments helped the Black River Falls Fire Department on scene.