Contestant on reality TV show ‘Wipeout’ dies after completing obstacle course
LOS ANGELES, Calif. (AP) — A contestant on the reality TV show “Wipeout” has died after completing the game show’s obstacle course.
The Los Angeles County coroner’s office said Friday that the man, who was in his 30s, was declared dead at a hospital on Wednesday. Neither the cause nor the man’s name have been released.
The reality competition show, in which contestants navigate an extreme obstacle course featuring giant balls and pitfalls that often result in spectacular crashes, ran on ABC from 2008 until 2014. TBS and production company Endemol Shine North America are rebooting it.
The man had completed the course on the show’s set in Santa Clarita, Calif., when he needed medical attention, said two people close to the production who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly. On-site medical staff helped him until paramedics arrived and took him to the hospital, they said.
The show stopped production Thursday and Friday and has a planned week off next week, they said. Its contestants undergo a medical exam before competing.
“We are devastated to have learned of his passing and our deepest sympathy goes out to the family,” TBS said in a statement.
Endemol Shine released a statement saying, “We offer our heartfelt condolences to the family and our thoughts are with them at this time.”
TBS announced in April that the show would be returning, and it said in September said its new hosts would be John Cena and Nicole Byer. No premiere date had been set yet.
TMZ was the first to report the death.