Colder temperatures increase risk of carbon monoxide

It’s that time of year when you might be turning on the furnace, but as the temperatures drop, the risk for carbon monoxide poisoning goes up.

That’s why it’s a good idea to make sure you have working carbon monoxide detectors on every floor of your home.

Since carbon monoxide is odorless and has no taste, you might not know something is wrong before it’s too late.

“It’s a little lighter than air, so as it collects it starts building up in parts per million and anything over 35 parts per million can start to get a human feeling symptoms,” said Asst. Chief Thomas Warren of the La Crosse Fire Department.

Some of the symptoms include  headaches, dizziness,  nausea, and  shortness of breath. The Assistant Chief says it’s always a good idea to have your furnace checked out by the furnace company before you turn it on.

Comments

comments