CDC endorses booster shots for all adults: Where you can get yours

LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) — All adults are now eligible for a COVID-19 booster shot. A CDC panel endorsed Pfizer and Moderna Friday afternoon.

“We estimate at least 75% of the adult population is already eligible for a booster at least under the existing criteria, so this would make it an option for that remaining 25%,” said Ben Anderson, an administrator at Mayo Clinic.

This clearance also comes in time for holiday travel.

“We are starting to see an increase again in COVID-19 cases. Not just in our area, but across the state and across the country,” said Megan Meller, an infection preventionist at Gundersen in La Crosse.

Adults who received their last shot at least six months ago can get a booster.

“What we’re learning is that immunity does wane about 6 months after that second vaccine. So it’s really important to get that third dose to boost immunity back up to levels that would protect you against serious infection that might require hospitalization,” Meller said.

Bechara Choucair, the White House’s vaccine coordinator, said this decision is based on evolving data.

“As more data comes along, the FDA and the CDC will act based on that new data. And that’s exactly what we’re seeing and what is playing out right now,” Choucair said.

The Johnson & Johnson booster received authorization last month. Adults who received the one-dose shot can get a booster two months after their first.

“We have to do everything we can to protect people. We know if you’re unvaccinated you’re five to six times more likely to end up catching this virus, you’re ten times more likely to end up in the hospital and 11 times more likely to die from this virus compared to someone who’s vaccinated,” Choucair said.

Health care experts say getting the booster is an effective way to curve effects of the pandemic, and gather with family again safely.

“What that booster does is it really boosts your body’s internal antibodies so you have ongoing and increased immune response if you encounter COVID-19,” Anderson said.

A White House representative says it is too early to predict when kids will be eligible for their boosters.

Where you can get your shot

Both Mayo Clinic and Gundersen Health System plan to offer all three boosters for all adults beginning Monday, Nov. 22.

Gundersen is offering shots at the Gundersen Onalaska Clinic and Gundersen La Crosse Clinic from 8 a.m. until 6 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and from 8 a.m. until 4 p.m. on Fridays.

The clinics are closed on Thanksgiving.

Appointments are preferred, and can be scheduled with MyChart or by calling (608) 775-6829.

Walk-ins are also accepted.

At Mayo Clinic, people can schedule an appointment using its online portal or by calling 608-392-7400.