Catholic Charities holding supply drive for Afghan refugees
LA CROSSE (WKBT) — Catholic Charities will be holding a donation drive Thursday and Friday for the Afghan refugees at Fort McCoy.
The group is accepting new, unused items from 9-11 a.m. and 103 p.m. Thursday and Friday at 3710 East Ave. S.
The items can have a little extra meaning when they arrive.
“It’s showing the refugees that are coming to our country that there are people that care about them. We’re here to help,” said Catholic Charities of La Crosse director of marketing Karen Becker.
Accepted items include:
- Underwear (women & children)
- Socks (women & children)
- Sweatpants (men, women, & children)
- Prayer mats (can be yoga mats)
- Rain Ponchos
- Backpacks for Children
Catholic Charities is asking people not to drop off appliances, household items, furniture or other used items.
To make a monetary contribution or to see an updated list of needs, visit the Catholic Charities website. The Wisconsin Department of Administration and Department of Children and Families have also set up a webpage for those hoping to help the newcomers. You can find that here.
- Gov. Evers visits Fort McCoy for update on operations, shares webpage for helping refugees
- New Video of the first group of Afghan refugees arriving at Volk Field
- Members of Wisconsin GOP visit Fort McCoy and give high praise to leaders
- Department of Defense releases pictures of Fort McCoy as the Monroe County military installation is housing Afghan refugees
- Afghan refugees arrive at Fort McCoy
COPYRIGHT 2021 BY NEWS 8 NOW/NEWS 8000. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.