Carbon monoxide scare in downtown La Crosse shows importance of CO detectors
LA CROSSE, WI (WKBT) — A potentially life-threatening situation was avoided in downtown La Crosse Wednesday and it was thanks in part to a simple device.
Firefighters were called to the 300 block of Main Street around 7:30 p.m. for a report of high carbon monoxide levels.
The building houses businesses and apartments.
Firefighters found a malfunctioning furnace causing the high gas readings.
There were no medical problems reported. “Obviously if it would have been for a long period of time there could of been problems, but here was a case where a carbon monoxide detector was the first indicator that there was a problem, the tenant recognized that and called 911 and everything worked out,” said La Crosse Fire Dept. Div. Chief Tom Wallerich.
One resident was displaced for the night.23299326