Beer-Braised Spicy Beef Tacos & Slow-Cooked Whiskey-Molasses Shredded Beef
Angie Horkan from the Wisconsin Beef Council stopped by News 8 this Morning with a pair of recipes to get you ready for the start of football:
Beer-Braised Spicy Beef Tacos
Total Recipe Time: 3 to 3-1/2 hours
Makes 6 servings
1 beef Ranch Roast (2 pounds)
2 teaspoons olive oil
Salt and pepper
1 bottle (12 ounces) beer
2 medium chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon adobo sauce from chipotle peppers, divided
12 small corn or flour tortillas (6-inch diameter), warmed
2 cups coleslaw
Chopped red onion, chopped fresh cilantro, crumbled queso or sour cream, fresh lime juice or lime wedges (optional)
1. Heat oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Place beef roast in stockpot; brown evenly. Pour off drippings; season with salt and pepper, as desired.
2. Add beer, peppers and 2 tablespoons adobo sauce to stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 2-1/4 to 2-1/2 hours or until pot roast is fork-tender.
3. Meanwhile, combine coleslaw and remaining 1 teaspoon adobo sauce. Refrigerate until ready to use.
4. Remove roast; cool slightly. Skim fat from cooking liquid; bring to boil. Reduce to medium and cook 10 to 12 minutes or until reduced to 1-1/2 cups. Meanwhile, trim and discard excess fat from cooked roast. Shred roast with 2 forks. Return beef to reserved liquid; cook over medium heat until heated through.
5. Serve beef in tortillas; top with coleslaw mixture and toppings, as desired.
Two pounds beef Shoulder Roast Boneless may be substituted.
Nutrition information per serving: 413 calories; 16 g fat (3 g saturated fat; 4 g monounsaturated fat); 57 mg cholesterol; 500 mg sodium; 37 g carbohydrate; 4.3 g fiber; 27 g protein; 8.2 mg niacin; 0.4 mg vitamin B6; 2.6 mcg vitamin B12; 3.7 mg iron; 25.5 mcg selenium; 5.9 mg zinc; 86.9 mg choline.This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc; and a good source of fiber and choline.
Recipe found at: http://www.beeftips.com/recipe.aspx?id=5065
Slow-Cooked Whiskey-Molasses Shredded Beef
Total Recipe Time: HIGH settting: 4-1/2 hours, LOW Setting: 8-1/2 hours
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Makes 8 servings.
1 beef Bottom Round Roast or beef Chuck Center Roast (2 1/2 to 3 pounds), cut into 1-inch pieces
1/2 cup whiskey
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 (6 ounce can) tomato paste
4 tablespoons packed brown sugar, divided
1/4 cup molasses
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
2 cups each shredded carrots and diced granny smith apple
1. Place roast in 4-1/2 to 5-1/2 quart slow cooker. Combine whiskey, 1/4 cup vinegar, tomato paste, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, molasses, salt and pepper; pour over roast. Cover and cook on HIGH 4 to 6 hours or on LOW 8 to 10 hours, or until beef is, fork-tender.
2. Remove roast from slow cooker; shred with 2 forks. Skim fat from sauce as needed. Return beef to slow cooker.
3. To make the slaw: Combine remaining 2 tablespoons cider vinegar, 2 tablespoons brown sugar and mustard in large bowl. Add carrots and apples; mix well. Season with salt and black pepper as desired. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Serve beef with slaw.
Can also use thinly sliced pears, celery, red cabbage, green cabbage, bell peppers, or a pre-packaged slaw mix in place of carrots or apples.
Nutrition information per serving: 363 calories; 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat; 3 g monounsaturated fat); 84 mg cholesterol; 725 mg sodium; 31 g carbohydrate; 5.0 g fiber; 31 g protein; 5.5 mg niacin; 0.5 mg vitamin B6; 1.6 mcg vitamin B12; 4.9 mg iron; 31.8 mcg selenium; 5.0 mg zinc; 116.1 mg choline.This recipe is an excellent source of fiber, protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium, zinc and choline.
Recipe found at: http://www.beeftips.com/recipe.aspx?id=6265