Area firefighters have reminders for holiday fire safety
ONALASKA, Wis. (WKBT) – Area firefighters want to remind people to be safe this holiday season.
They recommend making sure your tree is well-watered, and to unplug lights when you leave the house or go to sleep at night.
If you have a lot of holiday lights, be sure to plug them into a power strip that is UL certified.
Fire isn’t the only danger during the winter season.
“With the colder weather coming, it’s important to check your heating, have your furnaces inspected for cracked heat exchangers; that would cause carbon monoxide,” said Lt. Cory Yankovich of the Onalaska Fire Department.
When you’re doing your holiday cooking, be sure you don’t leave anything on the stove unattended.
If you have a grease fire, use baking soda instead of water to put it out.
COPYRIGHT 2021 BY NEWS 8 NOW/NEWS 8000. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.